The Things We Never Taught
This is a self-reflection on raising my daughter. This is not parenting advice, but the quiet realization that children absorb far more than we intentionally teach. I also think this piece carries a gentle paradox that invites curiosity and leaves you to ponder on some of life's deepest lessons. Hope you will love reading this.
![]() |
| "One silhouette walked away. The other remained holding a lifetime of memories." |
When my daughter was growing up, I often felt like parenting was a quiet dance of push and pull.
We pushed her toward her potential.
Not with force. Not with fear. But with a persistent belief that she was capable of more than she imagined. We dreamt of good education for her long before she could dream it for herself. We planted the seed gently, and over the years she made it her own.
Truthfully, she never loved studying.
Yet she studied—not because she was afraid of disappointing us, but because somewhere she saw the faith we carried for her. She stretched herself beyond what she believed she could do. Slowly, effort became capability.
While she carried the weight of those dreams, we quietly carried everything else.
Her mornings began with an organised study table because I had cleared away the previous night’s books before she woke up. If she studied late into the night, I would arrange her desk, clean the clutter, make the space ready for another day. Meals appeared. Clothes were managed. Daily chaos disappeared before it could reach her.
Looking back, I don’t remember it as sacrifice.
It was simply love taking the shape of ordinary chores.
Today she studies at the college we once only imagined for her. She is happy—perhaps happier than we ever imagined. She has built a life that belongs entirely to her. She throws herself into college societies, manages her academics without reminders, travels independently between cities, shifted homes on her own, organises her room, and runs her daily life with quiet confidence.
Sometimes I wonder…
When did she learn all this?
We never made her responsible for keeping everything in order. We never insisted she learn household routines before leaving home. In fact, we probably did too much for her.
Yet somehow, she knows.
And perhaps that’s because children are always learning, even when we are not teaching.
While we believed we were simply managing life’s background, she was observing it.
She watched consistency.
She watched responsibility.
She watched care.
She watched love expressed through everyday actions.
Children inherit far more from what we live than from what we lecture.
The thought often takes me back to my own childhood.
My father was deeply particular about order. If a hand towel was left crumpled near the washbasin, he would call us back to fold it neatly. As a child, I found it unnecessary, even irritating.
Today, I catch myself doing exactly the same thing.
Not because he taught me through instruction.
Because he taught me through repetition.
My mother was an exceptional cook. Yet she never insisted that I spend hours in the kitchen learning from her. When I got married, I somehow managed a kitchen with surprising confidence.
Some skills are not consciously taught.
They quietly ripen inside us.
Perhaps this is one of parenting’s most beautiful mysteries.
We spend years worrying about what we haven’t taught our children, while forgetting that they have been learning from us every single day.
Parenting, I’ve realised, is less about controlling outcomes and more about creating an environment where values are lived consistently.
Dreams may need a gentle push.
Character often grows in the background.
The years of parenting demand persistence—showing up every day, believing before they believe, carrying what they cannot yet carry themselves.
And then one day, almost without warning, they begin carrying their own life.
You stand at a distance, watching with quiet amazement.
Not because they became who you wanted them to be.
But because they became themselves.
And somewhere along the way, they had been learning all the things you never thought you taught.
And in that realisation, there is both relief and grace.
A quiet understanding that love was never measured in what we said—but in what we lived, again and again, until it became their way of being too.
Suggested Posts
- Lifestyle & Habits: 24 Tiny Habits That Clear Your Mind: Small Daily Rituals for a Calmer, Happier Life
- Midlife Reflections: Finding Purpose in Midlife: Practical Steps to Rediscover Yourself
- Life Lessons: The Love Story That Led Me Back to Myself
- Midlife Reflections: The Year My Body Whispered, Then Shouted: A Reflection on Turning 50 and Entering Menopause
.png)
Comments
Post a Comment