The Year My Body Whispered, Then Shouted: A Reflection on Turning 50 and Entering Menopause
There are years that quietly pass by, and then there are years that change who you are.
For me, 2026 became that year.
I am 49, turning 50 this August, and somewhere in March, after my last menstrual cycle, I unknowingly stepped into a new chapter. If the months continue as they are, I will eventually call it menopause. But long before I can give it a medical name, my body had already begun writing its own story.
Looking back, I realise menopause didn't arrive one day. It had been knocking for years.
When the House Became Too Quiet
This year also brought something I wasn't emotionally prepared for—an empty nest.
My daughter moved to another city for college. My husband's work travel increased. Suddenly, our Mumbai home became a place occupied mostly by me.
For someone who had always believed she enjoyed solitude, this loneliness felt different.
It wasn't peaceful.
It was heavy.
Days stretched endlessly. Meals became optional. I stopped cooking proper food just for myself. There were afternoons when reaching for a glass of gin felt easier than figuring out what to do with my emotions. I found myself wandering through the day looking for places where I could simply be around people.
Not because I needed conversation.
Because I needed life around me.
In hindsight, I think I was slipping into depression. At that time, I couldn't quite name it. I only knew I didn't recognise the woman I had become.
Searching for Human Connection
Then Agastu happened.
It came into my life exactly when I needed an anchor.
I met new people. I laughed. I shared conversations that made the days feel lighter. For a while, it reminded me that connection can heal parts of us we didn't know were hurting.
Eventually, though, I drifted away.
Not because anything went wrong.
Simply because sometimes places serve their purpose for a season, and then we outgrow them.
What Agastu gave me was enough—it reminded me that isolation doesn't have to become an identity.
The Day My Body Changed
The emotional changes were difficult.
The physical ones were shocking.
Almost overnight, it seemed.
My legs constantly ached. My back became stiff. My nerves felt sore. Fatigue settled into my bones. Energy disappeared. Simple movements felt heavier than they ever had before.
I remember thinking,
"How did all of this happen so suddenly?"
Blood tests finally gave me some answers.
- Vitamin B12 deficiency.
- Vitamin D deficiency.
- Borderline blood sugar.
- Thyroid markers needing attention.
- Unhealthy cholesterol levels.
It felt as though my body had handed me a complete health report card all at once.
I won't pretend it didn't scare me.
It did.
Menopause Was Never Just About Missing Periods
People often describe menopause as the end of periods.
For me, it has been much more than that.
Looking back over the last couple of years, I can now connect so many dots.
The mood swings that arrived without warning.
The recurring urinary tract infections.
Getting sick almost every monsoon.
A throat that suddenly became vulnerable.
Immunity that didn't seem as dependable anymore.
Periods that shortened to barely two days—one unusually heavy day followed by light spotting.
At the time, every symptom felt unrelated.
Now they seem to belong to the same story.
My body wasn't malfunctioning.
It was transitioning.
Choosing Not to Ignore the Signals
One thing I am grateful for is that I have always tried to be intentional about my health.
The reports became a wake-up call rather than something to fear.
I started taking my supplements.
I reduced alcohol significantly.
I became more conscious of smoking.
I stopped spending entire days sitting with my sadness and began moving again.
Walking.
Doing little things around the house.
Trying to find moments that genuinely made me happy.
I had also been advised to get a DEXA scan because bone health becomes increasingly important during menopause.
Instead of resisting this phase, I decided to understand it.
Perhaps This Is What Midlife Really Means
I used to think midlife was about getting older.
Now I think it is about becoming more honest.
Honest about our bodies.
Honest about our emotions.
Honest about the fact that strength sometimes looks like asking for help, taking supplements, cooking yourself a nourishing meal, or choosing a walk over another drink.
At 49, I no longer want to fight my body.
I want to partner with it.
As I Prepare to Turn 50
This August, I will celebrate my fiftieth birthday.
A younger version of me imagined this milestone very differently.
I didn't imagine conversations about hormones, thyroid health, bone density, or vitamin deficiencies.
I didn't imagine an empty home.
I didn't imagine learning how to enjoy my own company all over again.
But perhaps this is exactly what turning fifty is asking of me.
Not to chase youth.
But to build wisdom.
To understand that my body deserves compassion instead of criticism.
That loneliness can become a teacher.
That health is not something we inherit—it is something we care for every single day.
And maybe menopause is not the closing of a chapter.
Maybe it is simply the body's quiet invitation to begin living differently.
More gently.
More intentionally.
More truthfully.
If this is what fifty looks like, then I hope I continue meeting it with curiosity rather than fear.
Because while my hormones are changing, so is my perspective.
And perhaps that is the most beautiful transition of all.

Comments
Post a Comment