Homecoming: When You Stop Becoming and Start Returning

Homecoming of the Untamed Soul

There comes a point in many lives when we look back and barely recognize the person we once were.

Not because we've changed, but because we've spent years trying to become someone the world expected us to be.

For a long time, I believed growth meant adding more—more achievements, more approval, more certainty, more confidence. Whenever life felt uncomfortable, I assumed I needed to fix something about myself.

Looking back, I realize I wasn't trying to find myself. 

I was trying to become acceptable.

Homecoming of the Untamed Soul by Boundless Blogger
"The greatest journey isn't becoming someone else. It's returning to who you have always been."

We learn early that being "good" often means meeting expectations. We absorb opinions from family, society, workplaces, friends, and even strangers. Slowly, without realizing it, we begin shaping ourselves around what earns appreciation rather than what feels true.

The hardest part is that this transformation happens so gradually that we mistake it for maturity.

Until one day, something breaks.

Sometimes it's a relationship ending. Sometimes it's burnout. Sometimes it's loneliness, midlife, empty nest, grief, or simply the quiet realization that despite doing everything "right," something inside still feels missing.

That breaking can feel frightening.

Yet I have come to believe that our deepest breakdowns often become our greatest invitations.

Not an invitation to become someone new.

An invitation to return.

For me, solitude became that doorway.

In the beginning, I resisted it. Silence felt uncomfortable because it removed every distraction that had kept me from meeting myself. But with time, I discovered that solitude isn't emptiness. It is space. A place where our own voice slowly becomes louder than everyone else's.

That inner voice rarely shouts.

It patiently waits.

It waits until we stop seeking validation. Until we stop comparing. Until we stop running from ourselves long enough to ask a simple question:

Who am I beneath everything I have been told to be?

The answers don't arrive all at once.

They emerge quietly through ordinary moments—walking without a destination, journaling, sitting with uncomfortable emotions, watching a sunrise, or choosing peace instead of proving a point.

Real awakening isn't dramatic.

It doesn't require abandoning your life or becoming someone entirely different.

Often, awakening is simply remembering.

Remembering what brings you alive.

Remembering what matters.

Remembering that your worth has never depended on how well you fit into someone else's idea of success.

As I grow older, I no longer feel the need to win every argument or seek approval for every decision. There is a different kind of strength in gentleness. A different kind of confidence in silence.

I've learned that healing isn't about erasing the past.

It's about embracing every version of ourselves with compassion and allowing them to lead us back home.

Perhaps that is what self-discovery really is.

Not becoming.

Returning.

Returning to the self that existed before fear, before expectations, before comparison.

Returning to the boundless space within that has quietly waited for us all along.




If today's reflection resonated with you, and you're someone who enjoys pausing to look inward, you may find a companion in my book, Boundless Within. It is a collection of 21 self-reflection poems, each exploring themes of healing, identity, solitude, resilience, and the quiet journey back to ourselves.

Sometimes a few thoughtful words are enough to begin a conversation with the person we have been searching for all along.

Connect on Instagram: @boundless.blogger





Comments